Friday, November 29, 2013

Chocolate Tacos

It's hard to make slow-cooked food look pretty . . . and this pork seriously fell apart when I tried to take it out of the slow cooker!
So don't judge this by it's picture . . . I promise that this recipe is delicious! My husband even said that this is one of his favorite Sunday dinners.

Read more at http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html#ztxHSw2fWOPpKGS2.99
It's hard to make slow-cooked food look pretty . . . and this pork seriously fell apart when I tried to take it out of the slow cooker!
So don't judge this by it's picture . . . I promise that this recipe is delicious! My husband even said that this is one of his favorite Sunday dinners.

Read more at http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html#ztxHSw2fWOPpKGS2.99

Can I interest you in a taco?  How about a dessert taco?   A chocolate dessert taco?  Yes, I think that sounds like a good idea.


A quick and easy homemade chocolate taco shell that you can load up with your favorite fillings!   Let me tell you, these were downright delicious.   The idea came from a recent copy of Cooking Light Magazine.  Unfortunately most magazines that come into this house just collect dust and end up getting donated for projects at school, but I do try to sneak in some time with Cooking Light when I can.
This issue was full of fabulous taco ideas (and yay, they have them online as well!).  I about fell over when I saw the chocolate tacos.  Um, YES, please!   I had to make them, and I’m pleased to report that they are really very simple and VERY yummy.  My daughter loved the novelty of them, and you can fill them with your favorite ice cream or filling.   Cooking Light made an awesome peanut version, but I went for a nut free version (pesky nut allergy in the house).
I melted some chocolate coating and piped a bit along the edges of our tacos and then dipped them in sprinkles.   After that we simply filled them with vanilla ice cream and toppings.  So simple, but you could really get creative.  Think of it as a sundae, in a taco shell!  Such a fun idea for parties – especially Cinco De Mayo!  Okay, let me show you how I made them.  As I said, they are easy, but a bit specific.   Start off with your ingredients…
Mix your dry ingredients, then add your wet ingredients.
The batter reminds me of a very sticky brownie batter.
The recipe says it makes eight, but I did six – which worked out perfectly.
You bake them for about six minutes, and the moment you pull them out you need to carefully get them off of your baking sheet and onto something – a wooden spoon over a bowl works well, in order to create your taco shape.
While they are a bit delicate, I’m happy to report that none of mine broke, they held together very well.  After they cooled I coated the edges in chocolate coating and dipped them in sprinkles.  Because I think everything is better with sprinkles.
Once completely cool, we filled with ice cream and topped with chocolate sauce, sprinkles, M&M’s and other toppings.  There are only like one million different ways you could top these.  I’m thinking I need to try dark chocolate ice cream, caramel, peanut butter cups, whipped cream… you know, for “research” purposes.
Heck, for a healthier version, fill them with bananas or berries!  Or a fun flavored yogurt.  Get creative and have fun!
I should say, these are pretty messy to eat.  Not exactly a walk around and enjoy politely and neatly.  You’ll want to pull up a chair and a plate, but trust me, it will be well worth it.

For the recipe, head over to Cooking Light

And as noted, I made six, not eight as their recipe states, and I only made the chocolate taco shells the way they did, then improvised on decorating and toppings.  Enjoy!

Source:  lovefromtheoven.com
) boneless pork roast
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup honey
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place roast in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, honey, soy sauce, basil, garlic, oil and salt; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy (I also made mashed potatoes and the gravy was delicious on them!).
Recipe adapted from Everyday Tastes 

Read more at http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html#ztxHSw2fWOPpKGS2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment