Crispy coated and deep-fried chicken is smothered in a luscious honey-sesame sauce and served over a bed of fluffy steamed rice.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon salt
- Peanut oil for deep frying
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
For the marinade:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
For the sauce:
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce, for heat (optional)
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together and pour over the cubed chicken. Stir to thoroughly coat the chicken and let it marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the sauce ingredients, except for the garlic, ginger and sesame oil, until the cornstarch and honey are dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat in a large saucepan, fry the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add the sauce and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the cornstarch, shake off excess, and working in batches, deep fry the chicken in oil heated to 375ºF until the chicken is golden brown, crispy and cooked through. Place the chicken on paper towels.
- Add the fried chicken to the sauce, stir to thoroughly coat, and simmer for a couple of minutes until the chicken has absorbed the sauce. Serve immediately with steamed rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.