• 1 package German chocolate cake mix
• ¾ cup packed brown sugar
• 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
• 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
• ½ cup finely chopped pecans
• 1 package (3.4 oz) instant butterscotch pudding mix
• 1 cup cold milk
• 2 ½ cups whipped topping
1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center of mixture and color is amber brown. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In a small bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until thickened, about 20 minutes.
4. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread with 3/4 cup pudding mixture. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining pudding mixture over top and sides of cake.
5. If necessary, reheat pecan mixture in a microwave for up to 30 seconds to achieve a spreading consistency. Spoon pecan mixture around edge of cake. Store in the refrigerator.