Sunday, June 15, 2014
• 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
• 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, divided
• 1/2 cup milk
• 4 eggs
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
• 1 package (8 ounces) Cream Cheese, softened
• 1 cup confectioners' sugar
• 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
• 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
• 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, eggs, oil and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and remaining pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
4. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 10-12 servings.