Sunday, June 15, 2014
Pina Colada Pie
• 2 cups pecan shortbread cookie crumbs (about 16 cookies)
• 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice
• 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
• 1 1/2 cups cream of coconut, divided
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup whipping cream
lightly toasted shaved coconut, pineapple wedges, fresh pineapple mint sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 3 ingredients; firmly press on bottom and up sides of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
2. Stir together sugar and cornstarch in a small heavy saucepan; stir in pineapple. While stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook (keep stirring!) 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 20 minutes).
3. Beat cream cheese at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer, using whisk attachment, until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup cream of coconut, beating at low speed just until blended. (Chill remaining 1/2 cup cream of coconut until ready to use.) Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
4. Spread cooled pineapple mixture over bottom of pie crust; spoon cream cheese mixture over pineapple mixture.
5. Bake at 350° for 38 to 42 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 4 hours.
6. Beat whipping cream at high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup cream of coconut, beating until soft peaks form; spread over pie.