Serves: 4-6 servings
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp (reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat)
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded
- 2 medium scallions diced
- Sour cream for garnish
- Cook bacon crisp and rough chop. Set aside. Reserve one tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into wedges. Since all-purpose potatoes vary in size, try to keep the wedges uniform. You may get 8 wedges from one but 16 from another. Place potatoes in large bowl and add bacon fat, melted butter, salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Toss well to coat.
- Pour out potatoes onto a sheet pan in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes. Flip and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Mound the potatoes into four piles. Cover each pile with the Machego cheese, then bacon then the cheddar cheese. Place the pan back in the over for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese. Alternatively, keep the fries in a single layer and cover with both cheese types and bacon and again place back in oven for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- If serving individual servings, place each portion on a small plate, sprinkle with scallions and place a dollop of sour cream on top. If serving family style, slide fries onto platter, sprinkle with scallions and place several dollops of sour cream on top.