3 Layers of delicious pecan crusted cake with an amazing homemade filling and frosted with fresh whipped cream!
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce
- ⅓ cup light cream
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup dark corn syrup
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- additional pecans for decorating (optional)
- Cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease three 9" pans and sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly between the pans.
- Place 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup and top to 1 cup with milk. Set aside.
- With a mixer on medium, cream together ¾ cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture alternating with soured milk.
- With mixer on medium-high, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites and 1 cup of chopped pecans into the butter mixture just until completely combined.
- Divide batter between the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-23 minutes, or just until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove from pans onto cooling racks lined with parchment paper.
- Combine caramel sauce & light cream. Brush over each of the warm cakes twice. Cool completely.
Filling: (can be made 1 day ahead of time)
- Combine ½ cup brown sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, egg, light cream and corn syrup in a large saucepan.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture boils. Let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Let cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place one of the cakes on a plate with the pecans facing up. Top with half of the cooled filling. Repeat layers and finally top with the last cake.
- Whip cream and powdered sugar on medium high until stiff peaks form. Frost cake with whipped cream and top with additional pecans if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, slice cake and drizzle each slice with about 2 tablespoons fresh cream before serving.