This jelly-coated fruit-topped dessert is layered with a mixture of orange-flavored sour cream and whipping cream. Assemble the flag shortly before serving to prevent berries from coloring the cream filling.
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, similar in size, with stems removed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
1. In a small saucepan cook and stir apple jelly over medium heat until melted; cool. Toss blueberries with half of the jelly.
2. On a large rectangular platter or tray (about 13x9 inches) arrange blueberries upper left-hand corner in a square. Place strawberries, stem side down, in horizontal rows (resembling a flag), leaving about 1 inch between each row for whipped cream filling. With a pastry brush, brush strawberries with remaining jelly.
3. For the whipped cream filling, in a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, finely shredded orange peel, and vanilla. Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Fold in sour cream. Place filling in a pastry bag fitted with a large, grooved tip.
4. Pipe the whipped cream filling in rows between the strawberries. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 hours. Makes 10 to 12 servings.