- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium, chopped onion
- 1 rib, finely chopped celery
- To taste salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp, chopped, fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup, whole milk
- 3 cups, cooked, chopped chicken
- 1 roughly chopped carrot
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12, storebought or homemade biscuits
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Pre heat the oven to 375 F (190 C) and grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- If you aren't using store bought, make these yeast biscuits - and while they are resting you can make the chicken gravy.
- In a heavy skillet over moderate heat, melt the butter and cook the onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes - generously salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the broth and thyme and bring to a boil over medium heat - stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the milk, chicken, carrots, peas and lemon juice, then pour into the casserole dish and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and increase the temperature to 425 F (205 C).
- Cut out your biscuits into 12 rounds, and arrange them on top of the chicken gravy. Whisk the egg and tbsp water together and brush the biscuits with the egg wash.
- Return the dish to the oven, and bake until the biscuits are done, about 10 - 12 more minutes.