- 2.5 cups condensed cream of mushroom OR cream of chicken soup (the equivalent of 2 cans)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, very thinly sliced (no thicker than 1/8")
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced and halved (into half coins)
- (optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley or fresh thyme)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Add condensed soup and milk to a saucepan and whisk to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering, stirring frequently. When it reaches a simmer, remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, add potatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken. Pour in the condensed soup mixture, along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine until the potato and chicken mixture is evenly coated.
Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13 baking dish. Tuck lemon wedges into the mixture randomly. Then cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil.
Bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender. Carefully remove the foil, and change oven to the high "broil" setting. Broil the casserole for an extra 2-3 minutes to crisp up the top, watching very carefully so that it does not burn.
Remove pan from oven and serve warm.