Crystallized ginger and a gingersnap crust embellish fresh strawberries in this lovely dessert recipe.
- 30 gingersnap cookies
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 5 sprigs mint for garnish
1. In food processor, pulse cookies and sugar until cookies are finely crushed; pulse in butter until moistened. Press over bottom and up sides of a 9-inch square or round tart pan with removable bottom.
1. In medium-size saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water, chopped strawberries and crystallized ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until strawberries break down and mixture boils and thickens, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 30 minutes.
2. Pour cooled filling into crust. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling. Refrigerate 2 hours until set.
1. Place sliced berries on top of filling, overlapping slightly. Place jam in small glass cup; microwave on high for 30 seconds. Brush over sliced berries; garnish with mint.
Makes: 8 servings.