Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: one 11X7 baking pan
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) (Imperial Sugar) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 7 oz Kraft caramels
- 1/4 cup (Carnation) evaporated milk
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup diced cold butter
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all purpose flour
- sea salt (optional)
- 4 oz caramels + 2 tbsp evaporated milk (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line an 11x7" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl cream 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and vanilla extract. Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add 1 cup of flour and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
- Spread the mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven without turning it off.
- Meanwhile make the filling.
- In a small saucepan combine the 7 oz caramel and 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour over the half baked crust.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- To make the top blondie layer place 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 cup flour in a food processor and pulse a couple of times.
- Crumble it over the caramel layer.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
- As soon as you take the blondies out of the oven, sprinkle a pinch of salt on top (optional).
- Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.
- Serve with more caramel sauce, if preferred.