The family will love to sit down to this hearty Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast with all the trimmings and it takes just minutes to prepare. It’s so tender it will melt in your mouth. Leftovers make great sandwiches too!
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 4 pounds Chuck Roast
- 1 medium to large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 bunches small carrots, with tops (cut off tops leaving a small stub)
- 1 pound very small baby potatoes, white or red
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over high heat. Season chuck roast well with salt and pepper, add to pan and brown well on all sides (a few minutes a side). Remove roast and set aside.
- Add chopped onion to drippings in pot and reduce heat to medium. Saute onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, increase heat to medium-high and boil until reduced and slightly syrupy, about 4-5 more minutes. Stir in Dijon.
- Set roast on top of onions in pot. Pour in 2 cups beef broth and add thyme sprigs. Cover and place in oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until very tender.
- Add carrots and potatoes to pot and return to oven. Continue cooking until carrots and potatoes are tender, 30-60 minutes more. Season well then serve and enjoy!