Double chocolate chunk, fudgy brownies meet ooey, gooey caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ double chocolate chunk cookie mix
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bag (14 oz) caramels, approximately 50 caramels
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, plus additional 1/2 teaspoon for top of bars
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- 2 In medium bowl, stir together cookie mix, butter, water and egg until soft dough forms. Press dough evenly into prepared pan, sprinkle with 1/3 cup pecans. Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until set in center and edges just begin to pull from sides of pan. Set aside to cool.
- 3 Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter, caramels and cream, stirring frequently until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 4 Spread caramel evenly over cookie base and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Cool completely. Sprinkle top of caramel with additional salt right before serving. To serve, cut into 4 rows by 6 rows and cut each square diagonally into triangles. Store in refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.