Tangy sour cream and juicy sweet berries merge for a perfect partnership in this luscious refrigerator pie.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups red raspberries, blueberries, and/or sliced strawberries
- Raspberries, blueberries or sliced strawberries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For crust, in a small mixing bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, pecans or walnuts, flour, and the 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir in melted butter or margarine. Toss to mix well. Press mixture onto the bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
2. For filling, in a medium saucepan combine the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Place sour cream in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually stir hot milk mixture into the sour cream; stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
3. Stir berries into the sour cream mixture. Turn filling into the cooled crust. Cover and chill at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. Garnish with additional berries, if desired. Makes 8 servings.