These Coconut Thins are an amazingly quick and easy Caramel & Coconut sweet treat that’s sure to become one of your favorite ‘go to recipes’. They take just 10 minutes to prepare from a handful of ingredients – butter, brown sugar, shredded coconut, flour, lemon juice and golden syrup or corn syrup. Be sure to let them cool completely when you take them out of the oven so that they stay crisp. They’re delicious just as they are or you can dip in Chocolate. The recipe is similar to a Brandy Snaps recipe but much easier.
Prep Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 – 15 minutes
Yield: 12 – 14 pieces
1/4 cup or 55 g butter
1/3 cup or 55 g demerara / Light Brown sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons golden or corn syrup
6 1/2 Tablespoons plain (AP) flour
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tablespoons Shredded Coconut1
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4. Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Add butter, sugar and syrup into a small, heavy-based pan.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. This will take about 10 minutes over a low heat. Don’t let the mixture boil as it may crystalise.
- Leave the mixture to cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes, then sieve in the flour. Pour in the lemon juice and stir well to mix thoroughly.
- Drop four teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto each of the prepared baking trays to make neat circles, about 10 cm / 4 in apart then sprinkle a small amount of coconut on to each drop.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture is well spread out, looks lacey and is a dark golden colour. Once baked, quickly remove from the oven and sprinkle a very small amount coconut over the cookies. Leave them on the baking tray until they firm up and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- When they are completely cool, they will be brittle and can break easily, so be gentle with them! Store in an air tight container of decorate the tops to your liking if you wish to.