What’s for dinner tonight? You can’t go past this tasty 20 Minute Mongolian Beef for a quick and easy meal. It will melt in your mouth and it’s better than take away! Add your favorite veggies – Snow Peas, Broccoli, Spinach or Peppers go well – then serve over white rice, noodles, or quinoa and garnish with chopped green onions.
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 pounds flank steak, sliced
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Green onions, sliced
- In a small saucepot, over medium heat, add 2 tsp. of vegetable oil and sauté ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, water, and brown sugar and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss sliced flank steak with cornstarch, shaking off the excess. Place in fridge for 10 minutes to allow coating to stick better on the beef.
- After 10 minutes, in a heavy bottom saucepan, over medium high heat, add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and add the beef to the pan, in batches, to sear the outside on all sides, but barely cooked in the middle. Remove and let drain on paper towels as you finish up the rest of the beef. Pour out any excess oil in the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan back on the burner, but on medium heat, and pour in the sauce from earlier. It should come to a boil immediately. Add in the steak and coat with the sauce. Continue cooking beef and sauce at a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken gradually. Add in the scallions.
- Serve hot over white or brown rice.
- Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.