For savory, moist, delicate flounder, it is difficult to beat this fast, easy method. Lightly coat the fillets in flour, then dip them in a mixture of beaten egg and milk. Slide them into a hot skillet filled with oil to a 1/4-inch depth and let them fry until golden, a mere two minutes or so per side, without jostling them around too much. Serve with a sauce of green garlic cooked in butter, with the juice of half a lemon providing a jaunty, bright finish. A sprinkling of chopped parsley makes for an elegant presentation, lifting an already elevated weeknight dish. Use fluke or sole in place of the flounder if you’d like, or scallions for the green garlic.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless flounder or sole fillets, preferably 4 6-ounce pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour for dredging
- Mild olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup finely chopped green garlic, both white part and tender green stalks
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Make the egg batter by whisking together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl, along with a pinch of salt.
- Put the flour on a plate. Coat each fillet lightly on both sides, then submerge the fish in the egg batter. (This can be done up to 30 minutes ahead.)
- Pour about 1/4 inch oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil looks wavy, lift the fish from the egg batter one piece at a time, allowing excess batter to drip off. (Discard remaining batter.) Carefully lay each fillet in the pan and let fry gently until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and blot briefly on paper towels, then transfer to a warmed serving platter.
- Pour off any remaining oil and return the pan to the heat. Melt the butter in the pan and add the green garlic, and a little salt and pepper. Let cook without browning for about 1 minute, then add the lemon juice.
- Spoon the green garlic butter over the fish. Sprinkle with parsley, garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.