Sauteed lemon slices give this tart a beautiful presentation. A quick cook in the skillet mellow their bitter flavor and slightly caramelizes them to concentrate their lemony deliciousness.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions (6), thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1 pound fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 1/2 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- 1 small lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- 1/4 cup fresh dill sprigs
- 1 recipe Sauteed Lemons
- In a very large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the green onions; cook and stir until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add about 12 cups of the spinach, tossing with tongs until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove and cool slightly. Drain and squeeze spinach mixture to remove as much liquid as possible. Coarsely chop the spinach mixture; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface roll out puff pastry sheet to a 13x11-inch rectangle. Carefully transfer the pastry to the prepared baking sheet. Moisten the edges of the pastry with water and fold over a 1/2-inch border on all sides; press border lightly. Using the back of a paring knife, make evenly spaced indentations around the outside edge of the pastry (this will help the border rise evenly). Chill pastry for 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice the lemon. In a medium bowl whisk together 1 teaspoon lemon zest, eggs, creme fraiche, snipped dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in chopped spinach mixture and feta. Spread over the surface of the pastry. Bake about 30 minutes or until pastry is puffed and nicely browned on the bottom and filling is set. Slide onto a wire rack; cool.
- Just before serving, toss remaining spinach, mint leaves, and dill sprigs with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with Sauteed Lemons. Serve with tossed spinach and additional feta, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen:
Thinly slice one small lemon. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook slices 3 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove. Let cool.