- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Cream together shortening and milk for about 3 minutes, (it will look like small curd cottage cheese.) Add in vanilla.
- in a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add flour, one third at a time to the milk mixture, blending well after each addition.
- Lastly, add in egg whites, beating just until all combined.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured (do not use a spray) 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, using a toothpick inserted in the center to test for doneness.
- Let cool on wire rack for at least 45 minutes before serving, lightly dust with powdered sugar if desired.
You can also bake this in 10 inch casserole dish or a 10 inch baking pan.