- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large muffin tin with baking spray or butter.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the brown sugar and butter together for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and orange zest on low speed. Scrape down the sides.
- With the mixer running on low speed, alternate between adding the flour mixture and buttermilk until just combined. Scrape down the sides and stir by hand briefly to make sure the batter is evenly mixed.
- Distribute the batter into the muffin cups and flatten the tops. Place a few slices of peach on top of each cake and press slightly into the batter. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar generously on top of each cake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.